January 2, 2008

Two lives become one.

I graduated school recently.
And I thought that when I did,
I was graduating to a new life, too.
I was all set to start the internship that I believed would turn in to my first job.
It did.
I believed that job would allow me to cement a long standing relationship I've always treasured.
It did.
Over the last few months, the nature of my existence has changed immensely.
I'm more grown up.
I party a bit less.
I sleep a bit more.
I have more responsibilities,
more financial compensation,
and for once, I'm giving a few answers
instead of raising my hand to discover what they might be.
This had lead me to believe that the fun, care-free life I had was gone forever.
It seemed to me that my youth couldn't make friends with my adulthood.
Turns out, I was wrong.

The old friends were in town to see in this new year.
We partied in a fancy place that, for whatever reason, felt like the East Campus houses I used to frequent for a great many beers and even more laughs.
We cheered and jeered during the big game at a brand new big screen that, for whatever reason, felt like the nineteen-incher in my former apartment.
We went out to dinner at a nice restaurant that, for whatever reason, felt like the late-night diner 124 miles to our east.
Those I know have changed for sure.
Much in the same way as I.
But what life has given us in these past few months
has not made us forget the simple pleasures we once had.
I hope it never does.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites