January 3, 2008

Thoughts on college football.

I just finished watching the Orange Bowl, and now that the season's officially over for the only two teams that really matter around these parts, I have some thoughts. They are presented below in a handy-dandy numbered list.

1. Aqib Talib was quoted as saying "One of the reasons we want to win this game (the Orange Bowl) is to prove that we belong here and Missouri doesn't." KU won, and did indeed take steps to prove they are a real live football program. They didn't, however, prove that Missouri isn't.

2. No matter what all the rabid kU fans that I know tell me, MU is still the better team of the two. We beat kU. We won our division. We finished the year 1st in total offense, and total defense in the Big XII North. All while playing a tougher schedule.

3. If kU really is for real, and it appears that they are, I wish that they would've played a real schedule to prove it. I just don't think you can shrug off the doubters when there were only 9 team in division 1A football that had an easier schedule than you. Mark Mangino said in his pre-game press conference for the Orange Bowl that "people don't remember who you played in September in December." If this is true, I find it odd that he was responding to a question about how weak kU's schedule was this year.

4. Mark Mangino needs to drop a few pounds for the sake of his team. They wouldn't be nearly as good without him.

5. Say what you want, Jayhawks. Just remember, remember the 25th of November. 36-28, and it wasn't really even that close.

6. Let me say it again. We beat you. By a sound margin. And we won the division. Sure, you lost one less game than us, but that game you didnt't lose was one you couldn't play in.

A COUPLE DAYS LATER: So, uh, why did I get so worked up about that? I don't even really care much any more. Such is the nature of sports, I guess.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites