September 12, 2007

I AM IMPORTANT! Said the speck of dust.


I spotted this piece on a forum where there were lots of folks saying that they believe that this advertisement, and many other pieces of art, ads, etc, like it predicted the events of September 11th, 2001.

I think it's more likely that the ad men and women behind the pieces, like most ad men and women, were merely trying to communicate a message relevant for the time (in this case, the early 1980s) with little concern for what the future held.

This piece is a good reminder that we in advertising are, in the grand scheme of things, supremely unimportant. All that we do is temporary, dependant on the present and rendered obsolete by the future. I think many inhabitants of this big ball of dirt, myself included, might do well to realize this fact more often.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites